Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Pulling a color

So this is the discipline method they use at The Boy's school.

Each day each student starts with a green card. One infraction merits a yellow card. Another will get you red, and the final one is orange.

Red gets a note sent home from the teacher.

Orange gets a visit with the principal.

Friday, Monday, and Tuesday were good. On Wednesday, Brendan sat on The Boy's head at recess. (I know - WTF?) The Boy couldn't breathe, he said, so he pinched Brendan hard on the leg so he'd get off his head.

I thought that was pretty effective, and I can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. However, Mrs. R. saw fit to have both of the boys "pull red" resulting in a note home.

We have a sticker thing going on here at home. Everyday there is no note or no visit to the principal, The Boy puts a sticker on the calendar. He earns money for the stickers. Now, I know many of you won't agree with the money incentive, and that's okay. All I will say is money works for The Boy. I see it much the same as having a job - I don't work for free, and school is his job. Plus, I don't buy him toys. Period. He must earn the money to buy toys. So, he was very bummed on Wednesday that there was no sticker.

Today he made sure to earn a sticker.

Speaking of jobs, I called my prospective employer yesterday and told her that I will not work full-time. The Boy asked not to be put in after school care, and I will honor that request. I have a feeling they'll come back at me with a lesser hourly wage, which if you think about it, is really stupid. I will not be getting benefits and that saves them money. The wage will determine whether or not I take the job, though. I told them I'd come to work after I put The Boy on the bus at 7:40, and I need to be home at 3:00 when he gets off the bus.

I feel so much better.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:34 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    That is a common disciplinary system. We're in one of the best school systems in the country and it is used here. I guess the specifics (head on desk, etc) would change.

    I think it is horrible to deny recess. That's what my son's teacher does if morning work isn't done.

    Hope the job thing works out. Counter the salary thing if you really want it. You'd have leverage there with the lack of benefits.

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger carla said…

    this? gave me chills:
    The Boy asked not to be put in after school care, and I will honor that request.

    you are a fantastic caring LISTENING mama.

    Carla

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    you certainly have your priorities where they belong.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home