Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Burning bridges

My proposal to my boss was pretty simple - it consisted of me turning over my Accounts Receivable billing to someone in the service department or the administrative assistant, and having the sales people or the AA take care of making the daily deposits. The Accounts Payable could be mailed to me for processing, and basically all of the rest of my duties involve working on the computer which I could do remotely. Once every two weeks or so I would travel back up here to touch base.

Companies outsource their bookkeeping all the time. I made a few phone calls to see how it works, and it's pretty much how I described above - USPS or fed.ex., fax, email, etc.

Our software is pretty specialized and I know it forward and backward.

Not for a second did my boss indicate that he wouldn't consider this proposal. I figured it was a win-win situation. I could continue working part-time until we see how things pan out, and we could keep our insurance intact. The company would not have to hire anyone to replace me.

Last night my boss called me on my way home. He explained how he found "this person" who has a job as a controller of a company here in town. She makes too much money to work here, but she has offered to learn our software so that I am not the only one who knows it. That way there is someone here in town as a backup for training the software to someone new. By the way, she works during the day, so can I come in on weekends or in the evening to train her?

Um let me think about it. Not only no, but HELL NO.

I suggested that he have the company we buy our support from train her. I told him that I would not train somebody that makes more money than I do, while paying her more than I make, to be trained, only to turn around and pay her to train someone else.

Does anybody else see the absurdity of this?

I am going to rescind my offer, and will be finished here on the 28th.

MFH is a firm believer that you should never burn bridges. I was really trying not to do that. I care about the welfare of this company. On the other hand, my welfare and that of my family is my first concern.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    OOOhhh.This is a tough one. I would probably do what you are doing. BUT, I think I would give him a few days to think about it after you tell him that you won't train this woman. Maybe that will give him time to think about how stupid that was. I agree that you shouldn't burn bridges, but you need to take care of your family first. Besides, you're a smart woman. I don't think it will be hard to find a new job should you need one! Good luck!

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    ack..... I'd be pretty ticked too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home