Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

R.I.P.

Terry was a family friend. I read in my hometown newspaper that he died on July 10 at age 52.

In August 1995 Terry was injured in a motorcycle accident. We can only speculate as to what happened that night, but somebody reported a cycle and body lying off the side of the road the next morning. He spent the rest of his life in a nursing home. I guess you could call that surviving, but some might say he died that day.

My brother would visit Terry faithfully every Wednesday afternoon, until his own untimely demise in August 2002. I would ask about him and the report was always the same - Terry seemed excited to have visitors, but couldn't carry on a conversation. So, they would sit, my brother and another friend who always accompanied him, and talk so that Terry could hear about all that was going on.

When I read his obituary I cried, for a combination of reasons. I am sorry for his family and all they have been through, and for their loss. It also brought the memories of losing my own brother rushing to the surface as though it had just happened.

I can't help but hope there is a "better place" and that Terry and Daren are there now, on Harleys, exploring the highways of the sky.

Ride free.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger DD said…

    52 is too young. Your brother must have been young as well, and I'm so sorry. It makes me wonder if the two could have switched lives if they would have.

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    52 is too young. My dad died at 49. I have a friend who lost her brother the end of June at 24. It's just so, so hard.

    Here's hoping you surround yourself with good memories of your brother, of Terry.

    Cheers to their lives!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home