Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, June 30, 2006

I'm Talking and I Can't Shut Up

Yesterday the younglings that work here were congregating outside my office at lunch. There was a tragic story on the internet news about a mother who went to pick up her 5 month old baby at daycare, only the baby hadn't been dropped off in the morning. She had forgotten to drop the baby off, and the poor child had been in her van all day.

I was sick to my stomach, literally.

Naturally, my biggest fear in life is to lose my child.

One of the younglings proceeded to drone on and on and on with story after story regarding the tragic deaths of babies. Stories she'd heard or stories she'd read or stories she'd made up in her head for all I know because some of them were quite unusual.

And I was getting angrier by the second.

Finally I gathered up my purse and walked out of my office.

And I said, "I am leaving for 30 minutes. When I get back I certainly hope you are no longer talking about this subject because I am sick to my stomach. I realize you are not yet a mother, but please have some respect for those of us who are, and for the mothers who have been unfortunate enough to have lost a child."

I guess "Could you just shut the fuck up?" might have been just as effective.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger DD said…

    I had to get up from my computer once I read this. How utterly heartbreaking. It makes me wonder WHY?! didn't the caregiver call the parents when the child wasn't dropped off? Just sickening.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home