Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, June 26, 2006

There Otta Be a Law

We have a local speedway near our house where they run stock car races on Friday nights in the summer. We are not huge race fans, but decided to take The Boy last Friday just for something to do.

This sport is a big damn deal locally. The stands were packed full of cigarette smoking, Bud Light drinking fans. These people don't buy just one or two beers at a time. Oh no, they buy a whole 18 pack and apparently drink them fast enough that they don't need to worry about the rest getting warm.

We experienced culture shock while sitting in that crowd. There were heavy young girls showing way too much skin. One guy had on pants that I'm sure stand in the corner on their own when he takes them off at night. A lot of the people there quite obviously don't believe in any sort of dental maintenance. And, if it came down to buying personal hygiene products or paying admission to the races? The races would win, hands down.

But, the icing on the cake? MFH went to get The Boy a hot dog. He gets back after an eternity and says, "Stiletto, while I was gone I saw three different guys in wife beaters with their Marlboros stuck inside to their chests."

I was laughing so hard that I forgot to ask if they were sporting mullets.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger DD said…

    Mr. DD likes taking X to the local races. I refuse. I don't want to know what it is my son is hearing/seeing. It gives me the willies.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been to the races and seen the crowd you're talking about but call me unhip what are wife beaters? And what do you mean their Marlboros were "stuck" to their chests?

     
  • At 8:02 PM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said…

    Wife beaters are those skin tight white tank tops that are really like underwear. There are no sleeves so they had their cigarette packs stuck inside their shirts on their chests.

     
  • At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, I got the picture.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home