Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Grammy

No, not the award. My mom. The Boy's Grammy.

I've already posted about losing my dad on May 12 in 2001. In 2002, my baby brother passed away and I'll write about that on another day.

At that same time in 2002, we were in the process of adopting The Boy from Guatemala.

There were some days, actually a lot of them, that I think the idea of bringing that baby home was the only thing that kept my mom on this planet. She dealt with her loss remarkably well, without therapy which I did suggest, without medication which I also suggested, but the spark was gone from her eyes.

It returned on March 6, 2003 in Guatemala City.

Grammy is visiting right now. She comes about every 6 weeks, weather permitting, so she can spoil The Boy. She keeps him out of preschool and all to herself for a few days, and then she goes home to catch up on her sleep and let the aches heal. Grammy is 76 years old, but has more energy than me when she is around Him.

Last night The Boy was ready for bed and Grammy was down taking a shower. He was waiting and watching for her from the top of the stairs. I told MFH "There are no words to describe how much he loves his Grammy."

"Oh," he said, "I think she feels the same way about him."

2 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    That's really sweet, and so nice that they have such a special bond!

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is very sweet.

    We have a similar situation in our house. My mom's mom passed away in 2003 and it destroyed her. Gabe has restored that a bit (even if it is a bit unhealthy in our situation).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home