Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Presenting........

The Boy with The Mullet.

Doesn't he have awesome hair? (Not to mention those cheeks!)

I feel the need to clarify in response to the comment from Not So Normal Mom on my last post. The Boy has a very definite sense of himself. It is not within my power to coerce The Boy to be anything he doesn't choose to be or do anything he doesn't choose to do.

I was shopping for clothes at T@rget one day when a mom I didn't know pointed out some shorts on the clearance rack. I said they were nice and the price was right, but The Boy wouldn't wear them.

She gasped. "It wouldn't occur to my daughter to have an opinion regarding her clothing," she stated.

The Boy does have an opinion. I don't buy clothes if he is not present. I have learned my lesson. He chooses his clothes and his shoes. We are proud that he has the presence of mind to have an opinion about what he wears, even though we are very tired of all variations of the color blue!

His hair? He has NEVER stated that he wants to wear it in a different style. Until Z told him it was girly.

Tonight he wants to keep his "hockey hair".

The Boy knows exactly who he is.

What he doesn't know is that he's a little less innocent now.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger DD said…

    He IS adorable! And OMG, you're right about those cheeks.

    I do some shopping for X as well w/o him, and I do guide him to certain styles. Right now it doesn't seem to matter what I think, especially after he wore his navy calf socks, white shoes, orange mesh shorts w/a blue&green t-shirt and vest. Oh, yeah.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Please know that I wasn't trying to be mean. I have little men at all age ranges (2, 9, and 12) and they have gone through many stages. I do want certain things for them and sometimes I try to push styles onto them. I have learned that they do what they want anyway. BUT, I have a friend who loved her sons hair (he was a mulatto child like mine) and she grew it out soooo long and would keep it braided. As he got older, people would think he was a girl, and he started asking to cut it. He had gorgeous hair (I was jealous), but it embarassed him. She protested cutting it for years, until he came home crying one too many times. Like I said, we want our children to have their own sense of style and be brave enough to pull it off, but I also think that's a fine line to walk sometimes. I'm glad the Boy has chosen to keep it, he does have very pretty curly locks. Again, I didn't mean to come off harsh.;-)

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said…

    NSNM - I didn't think you were too harsh at all. While I do love his hair, I would cut it if that's what HE wanted. I just didn't want the reason to be that some neandrathal child was teasing him.

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    I think it's great that the boy has his own sense of himself AND that you allow him to even at 4 years old. I wish my husband would care as much about what he wears, he wears whatever I buy him! ;)

    If the mullet suits the boy then run with it! Hockey hair sounds cool to me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home