Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

And Ends

Yesterday's post was about something odd, so today I have ends.

Hockey Player left to go home. He was a good kid, and for our first year as surrogate parents, we couldn't have asked for a better experience. The Boy loves HP and I fully expected him to grieve, but he seems to understand. The Boy knows hockey season is over for our team, and that in three short months a new HP will come to live with us. And so it goes.

One thing I guess I didn't expect was for HP to become a member of our family. He asked if he could come back to visit this summer for a few weeks. We couldn't be happier about that. HP's career in junior hockey is over - he will be starting college in the fall, and hopefully playing college hockey. I wish him well, and hope all his dreams come true.

It's official - the preschool is rampant with Hand Foot and Mouth Disease. There is no treatment but as long as the kids have fever, are drooling, or are broken out with the rash, they should be at home. Last year we had to keep The Boy out for 5 full days per doctor's orders. The little boy that had the 'common cold virus'? Yeah, he is the origination of it all. And when the director had to call his dad on two consecutive days to come and take his child home, what she got was "I can't afford to keep missing work to take my child home." The director told him to find a new daycare.

Yeah, asswipe, it's hard for any of us to miss work. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have to if you had done the right thing and kept your kid home. It's all part of being a responsible parent.

The "responsible" gene is a funny one. Some of us got more than our fair share, and others of us got none.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:17 AM, Blogger DD said…

    So everyone pays because some jack-ass dad - who probably has the "little woman" take care of the kid so he can go back to work to continue as the "breadwinner" as an appliance salesman at Sears - can't take an hour off to think of others.

    ...and I'm not even a feminist!

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Kim Strahan said…

    Man, too bad hand/foot/mouth is not contagious to adults, cuz I'd volunteer him to get it.

    JERK! But I am glad the director stood up and told him to find someplace else. Around here if you need it there is daycare available for sick kids but it costs an arm and a leg.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home