Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Contagious

Why would a parent bring their kid to daycare when he is covered in red spots? WTF??? If it is such an inconvenience to stay home with your sick kid, you need to rethink the whole parent thing.

On Saturday The Boy was miserable. High fever. Sore throat. We look inside his mouth and his throat is red, but no pus pockets, and a few red splotches on the roof of his mouth. We assumed those were from the cough drops. Strep maybe? Lots of Tylenol and he at least feels better. The fever broke sometime Saturday night. Sunday he was fine. The mouth splotches were still there but he did not complain about a sore throat. We had a good day.

Yesterday I took him to preschool and overheard a conversation between another parent and the director of the facility. The dad is holding his son, who is covered in spots. Yes, he took the boy to the doctor and it's just a common cold virus with a rash. He's okay to be in school. Ummmmm, I look but say nothing. It just sounded suspicious.

I pick The Boy up at night and he's in a good mood but has had a rough day. I tell them Saturday he was sick and maybe still isn't up to par. Director asked if he had spots in his mouth. I said yes. Then she tells me about the "virus". We left. We get home and the boy is just owly. The spots on his throat now look like blisters and he has spots on his knees and on his feet. I've seen this before. Google. Hand Foot and Mouth Disease.

Common cold virus, my ass.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:19 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Some parents actually think they are doing other parents a favor by bringing a contagious child to daycare. For the record, don't do me any favors, because more than likely that "favor" will become mine and I take forever to get well again.

    What can you do? Nothing, but hope the kids mommy and daddy have a nasty case of whatever it is.

    *********

    Happy Mudder's Day (Week) as well. I heard this song over and over again on Sunday:

    It's Mother's Day, It's Mother's Day. It's not your sister's or your brother's day. It's Mother's Day.

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Kim Strahan said…

    My doctor told me hand foot and mouth disease is HIGHLY contagious for children under 10. WTF! Oh and parent... guess what... your little bundle that you are dropping off is SICK and should be in the comfort of home, not in daycare surrounded by other children.

    I am so sorry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home