Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Fifteen

is the number of years that I've been at my job, today.

The only person who's been there longer than me is the owner, who took me to a fantastic lunch today. It was very nice. Not as nice as a bonus perhaps, but nice all the same.

On the first Wednesday of each month, we have a store meeting at which we celebrate anniversaries and birthdays. We have cake or muffins or some such treat. Today they made a little big deal out it, and I appreciated the gesture. We had a tray of goodies and mostly just got to visit with each other.

One of my favorite co-workers ever, M, was there. She has moved on to bigger pastures, but is still in the same industry and works with us sometimes. She wanted to talk about her favorite memories of working with me. M brought up the work related trip that she and I took to New Orleans. We drank our way up and down Bourbon Street with some associates from Canada. We wandered into an adult book store and were entralled at the magazines - whole magazines! - geared towards specific body parts on people of specific races. Of course we had no idea what most of the *ahem* adult accessories were for, but Miss Canada did and she was happy to enlighten us. It was also the first time we saw men in drag. Or visited a gay bar. Worldly gals, we were.

Then there was the Memorial Day party at M's house. She threw fine parties. We were drinking these blended drinks and I ended up passed out in her bathroom with the door locked. I don't know how MFH got me out of there, but I was missing most of my acrylic nail tips. I was literally hungover for days. Ah, good times.

The morning wouldn't be complete without mention of the Motley Crue concert in October, attended by some of my co-workers and The Boy's daycare provider, when I flashed Tommy Lee with his video camera. Of course it was projected up on the huge screen behind the band. I got a backstage pass out of that deal, so hey. It was worth it.

Most of the people I work with now only know me as a mom. I don't party like it's 1991, and rarely am even able to attend company functions. Hell, I was out of high school before many of them were even born.

That'll make you feel old.

That, and being called my son's grandma at KM@rt by some old bat.

If only looks could kill.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Oooh, I totally agree with Employee-Attendance. She's so smart!

    Ah, yes, to be "young" again (which in my case = stupidity). One of my coworkers is bemoaning the fact that she will be *gasp* 30 next year. Oh boo-hoo and shut the fuck up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home