Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Snobby, Judgemental, or Just a Bitch?

I have never considered myself a snobby person. Bitchy, sure, but not snobby. Judgemental occasionally, but snobby?

Case in point: Dora's Pirate Adventure was this week on Tuesday night. It turned out to be a musical of sorts for kids, and I must say it was delightful. MFH attended as well and the delightful part for him was that the audience was littered with other fathers full of pity for each other. Anyhow, the next morning at preschool we were discussing the production and it was mentioned that most of the kids were there. One mom says, "We weren't there. I didn't think I'd be able to stand it." I turned to her and said, "It was really quite enjoyable." What I was thinking was, "Oh, pardon me. It would not occur to me to not attend things of interest to my child simply because I might not be able to stand it."

Case in point: The tickets to Dora were $24.50 each. We have a lot of underprivileged families living in the area, and I think all of them were at Dora. I'm glad the people found a way to take their kids to the show. But, one little boy was wearing sweat pants that came way above his ankles and shoes that were sloppy too big for him. Maybe my priorities are all wrong, or maybe I put too much stock in self image, but all I could think was, "You'll pay $25 each to see Dora with 4 kids, you bought them all the $12 Dora light up sticks and $2.50 sodas, but you can't come up with $3 to buy your son pants that fit?" Even if the tickets were donated to them, which I hope some were, the souvenirs were not. Just so you know, I feel terrible about this one. What is important is that the kids are loved and have opportunities at wonderful memories of their lives. I know this. But it still makes me sad to see little ragamuffin children. I feel so shallow.

Case in point: The family next to us had a kid that spent the entire 1.5 hours working off his ADD medication in the aisle. Seriously, he was moving, dancing, shaking the entire time. MFH and I would exchange looks of "if that was my kid I'd duct tape him to the floor" while his parents just smiled, watching him. One time the mom caught me glance at MFH and glared at me as if to say "What the fuck is your problem?" Me- "Oh just that your kid is making me crazy. How can you stand him?"

While you are contemplating whether or not I am a snob, does anyone know of a charity to which I can donate The Boy's outgrown clothes? I want an organization that will give them to needy families, not put them out for sale.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger DD said…

    Sorry, stopped by earlier, but as you know blogger is being a total PIA...

    I think what you described is honesty. I was just thinking about that today how I "judge" the people who walk through our doors based on how they look. Then I have to remember that sometimes I leave the house looking not my best either and I hate how people judge me.

    As for your clothes, I donate a lot to the women's/children's shelter who do not charge for clothing. The shelter I support is a temp home for women and their children leaving abusive relationships with only the clothes on their backs.

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yep, I agree with DD and seriously, I would have had the same reaction to that hag who said she wouldn't be able to stand it. She's the snob, not you.
    Again, DD is very wise. The best place I can think to donate direct - a woman's shelter.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home