Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Return to Sender

I recently got a letter from the company that does our payroll. This is how it begins:

Dear Old Payroll Person,
This letter is just following up on pervious correspondents.

Okay, I really wanted "pervious" to be a word, because it's just fun to say. I realize "correspondents" is a real word, although it is not the right word to be used in this sentence.

I used to be a teacher. Used to be? I guess I still am a teacher. I'm just not employed in that role now. This letter just made me want to break out the red pen. Only, we don't have any red pens in this office. My boss hates red pens, because I guess he was a really bad student and saw entirely too much red ink on his papers when he was in school.

I am also a stickler for spelling. I realize not everyone is a natural speller, and that is why I'm so thankful for the spell check tool. (Heh, I said TOOL.)

I am in a quandary as to what I should do next. Do I correct the letter and send it back, or do I just ignore it?

2 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    You could just write back, using the word properly, so as to show the sender the proper usage without being too cheeky. Does that make sense??? Our apartment manager CONSTANTLY sends out memos that are filled with improper spellings and bad grammar. Being an English tutor, it drives me up the wall!!!! My husband and I have fun circling and correcting all the errors, and then we slip it into the night box anonymously. Great fun!

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Huh? I don't sea watt the problem is.

    Actually, if it's a form letter that you think was sent to several of their customers, I would white out the identifying info; photocopy it anew; make the corrections in red ink and send it back anonymously.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home