Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Fender Bender

I drive a 2005 Yukon. It is absolutely my favorite car ever - next to the Camaro I sold recently. It's powerful, fast, and a nice ride. Plus, it's big. I never thought I'd like a big vehicle - until I had this one. It makes me feel safe and that's a big damn deal in this small town with lots of traffic. I'm practically invincible!

At W@lmart a month ago there was a note stuck under my windshield wiper. An older lady hit my car and pushed the bumper up and into the body. I could still open the back end, though. I was upset and angry and called MFH who very coolly reminded me that she left her name and number, which she didn't have to do.

Older lady was driving her daughter's big work truck when she hit me. She left her name and her daughter's name and number, as her daughter would be paying the bill. Daughter was elusive. We called daily - almost to the point of harrassment. And, even though we left work and cell numbers, she would call our home during the day. Finally we played our ace, and called older lady. She offered to send us her social security check the next week and the rest of the money later. (Insert sad, stricken look here.)

Daughter finally called and said the damage was significant enough that she'd turn it in to her insurance. Smart move. I would feel like absolute crap taking older lady's SS check, and it wouldn't bother me to tell daughter that it just wasn't right.

MFH is in the auto body industry and deals with insurance daily. In Montana we don't have to get comparative estimates. We can take the vehicle wherever we choose. Mr. Farmers Ins called MFH and said he had some questions regarding this case.

MFH - We'll be taking the car to XYZ and this is the repair estimate.

FI Man - What do you mean?

MFH - We are in line for the repair, and that's where we're taking it. We have the right to take it wherever we want. Can we get moving on this? It's been a month already and we'd like to get it fixed. Oh, and by the way. Since the vehicle is less than 5 years old, we will be using factory GM parts. I will not accept after market parts.

FI Man - Oh.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I don't think there is any state that can require an insured member, who pays his own premium, to get comparison quotes. Not enough people know that.

    AND even if there was, the owner of the vehicle can chose whoever he wants, it doesn't have to be the lowest.

    But, honey, a GM? I've lost a little respect for you.

    ~Current Owner of 4 Toyotas

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said…

    Toyota, let's see.....nope. I don't know anybody who owns one. Oh, except my boss - and it's sitting new on a used car lot, remember? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home