Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Flabbergasted

I went to the interview yesterday, even though I had already decided there was no way I would take the job - unless it was for a lot more money.

I like my job at the burger corp. I like the people I work with and I like the benefits. I earn a decent wage. The controller got her hands slapped for being a bitch, and she has done a 360 this week. Even if it doesn't last, she leaves me alone because I do my job and I do it well.

The controller interviewed me. She kept asking me if I wanted the job. I said I could be interested. I told her I like my job now, but that I feel I am capable of more. She asked what I needed to make, and I asked what they were offering. She told me $13.00 an hour. This is a property accountant position.

I know my jaw hit the desk. I told her I was shocked at the difference in pay between the town I came from and the big city. I feel jobs should pay more in the city. They just should. The hell with all this cost of living being higher in resort town. You know what? Gas is high everywhere, groceries are basically the same, and a house payment is a house payment.

"I make quite a bit more than that now," I told her, "before we even begin to consider my benefit package."

She asked me to fill out the application and return it to her, and I threw it away when I left the building.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Wow. And jobs in the city should pay more for the reasons you mentioned and because there are more qualified applicants in the pool and therefore they should try harder to attract a qualified person.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Happy said…

    WOW! In my area (Philadelphia, PA) jobs in the city pay much more. I assume because of the commuter costs like parking and the train (easily a couple hundred dollars a month). In all honesty I wouldn't work in the city and deal with the annoying commute if the money didn't make it worth it. Hey, for the hourly rate she quoted you could work at you're favorite fast food place ;-)

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    um, yeah... that's insane.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home