Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, October 29, 2007

One shot

Today The Boy's class went on a field trip to a pumpkin patch. I offered to chaperone whenever needed this year, and his teacher called me on Friday to ask if I could attend. It was a beautiful day here, and the mile walk with two classes of kindergartners was a welcome respite from my boring job.

(Let me interrupt my story here to say that I've decided to do both in my exit interview, if I do get to have one. I am going to lie about why I'm leaving, but I'll offer my money saving, time management suggestion as well.)

What fun it was to meet the children that The Boy talks about all the time. They are a sweet bunch of kids. It reminded me of why I loved teaching.

At one point when we were stopped, Daniel turned around and looked at me and The Boy. "Do you have any brothers?" he asked.

"No," replied The Boy. "IT'S JUST ME."

"You don't even have any sisters?"

"The Boy is an only child," I said.

"WOW!"

I don't know if that was good wow or bad wow, and I don't think The Boy gave it a second thought, but I did.

I'm most likely in the last half of my life, and lately I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I won't parent any more children.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:18 AM, Blogger carla said…

    I get that daniel conversation from ADULTS alot.

    Although for me, WHM, whatever it says I think Im blessed with the patience for one (which is what I tell them :) one child one dog and one husband).

    I can be a good mom to E (AND A CALM ONE) but I fear more than that Id become my mother.

    (wink)

    way to make this about ME huh?

    glad you are exiting.
    C.

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    boy do I have those thoughts A LOT.

     
  • At 7:15 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Maybe you won't have someone like The Boy to raise from infancy into adulthood, but you are parenting other children and impacting positively their lives. The hockey player(s); school functions and outings. How much cooler would it be that when The Boy reaches high school that he and his friends like to hang out with you and your husband instead of partying out on some back road? Be the Mom they wish they had. That's how I'm going to try to get through this.

     
  • At 8:15 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    That doesn't stop, no matter how many kids you have. I have three, and I would still like one more. I am coming to terms with not holding a baby again, and parenting a little one again, so I know how you feel...And really, I think you would still have that feeling even if you had more than just the boy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home