Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Exit Strategy

I really don't like to quit anything. I'm uncomfortable with criticism and confrontation, so I've been agonizing over what to say if I leave my job.

Talk about putting the cart before the horse, eh?

I considered telling them that I am going back to school, which is something I've always wanted to do, but that isn't the truth right now.

The other thing I could offer up would be considered either constructive criticism or a suggestion that, in the long run, would save this company a lot of money.

On Thursday of last week, Lynn (head bookkeeper) brought me in a few time cards to total. I returned them to her in a matter of minutes. She came to me On Friday and told me what a good job I had done, and that she had double checked them just because that is the way she is. But, from now on, she wouldn't check them every time.

Is it her goal in life to try and make me feel incompetent?

The shop techs punch in and out of every job they work on, and use a new time card every day. There are five shop techs. Lynn spends a lot of time on time cards. Last week I saw her working on them for three days. Not nonstop, mind you, but almost.

If this company would outsource their payroll to a company that uses a computerized time clock, Lynn could do her job and mine by herself. Yes payroll companies charge a lot - the one I use charges 6% of gross payroll - but they do all the time computation, quarterlies, and year end reporting, plus all the human resource functions. It would free up a lot of time and eliminate this position they can't seem to keep filled.

Do I lie or offer up a suggestion?

I'm leaning towards lying.

I know. It's a cop out.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    I say you tell the truth. I know it would probably be easier on you to tell a lie, but they would know it is a lie. You just started the job, so they know you intend on working right now. I would go with the truth because you are inconveniencing them by quitting, so telling the truth and offering a suggestion would help them out, you know? Besides, the truth always makes you feel better than a lie does. That's what we tell our kids, right?

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    If your general impression is that these folks are open, I would lean toward giving them the suggestion. If they've gone through a lot of folks in the position it might be something that they already sort of recognize, but are unwilling to admit yet. Your comment might be just the thing that they need.

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Tell them the truth (I say knowing that I would lie).

     
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger carla said…

    I was about the type the same thing as michelle :)

    Id probably fib and move on.

    not pretty :)

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would lie and regret it for a little while, but I'm a coward.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home