Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dennis

We went back home to attend a funeral on Tuesday.

A friend, a craftsman, that helped remodel our kitchen a few years ago. Even though he didn't want to, even though he HATED doing counter tops, he did it for me.

A friend from back in the day when we didn't have The Boy and we spent more time on our bikes than anywhere else. We rode a lot of miles alongside this man.

He lost his life tragically, in an accident late at night, on his bike. The road curved and he didn't. Fortunately there were people on the scene, and fortunately he died instantly. I found that out at the funeral from his brother. Yes, I asked because it was important for me to know that he didn't lay there and suffer, knowing he was dying and waiting for it to happen.

His casket was decorated with the H.arley bar and shield, and several good friends hung guardian bells from the handles. The final line of his obituary read "Thank you, God, for allowing me to come to you doing the thing I loved most - riding my bike."

I thought it was nice that his family acknowledged his lifestyle, one that I know they did not wholly approve of.

Ride Free, Dennis.

You'll be missed.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:40 PM, Blogger DD said…

    I'm sorry to hear you lost a friend. My sympathies.

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    I'm sorry to hear of the loss of a good friend.

     
  • At 5:26 AM, Blogger carla said…

    that gave me chills.

    C.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home