Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Sleepover

The Boy is invited to a sleepover birthday party next Friday.

In Kindergarten.

He was very excited when the party invitation said to bring a pillow and a sleeping bag. "Awesome!" he exclaimed.

I explained that it meant he would sleep at Daniel's house. That we would drop him off and them pick him up again in the morning after he woke up. He wants to go and I said dad and I would discuss it. I think it's absurd and MFH agreed with me. I know! I couldn't believe it either! I'm sure he just didn't want the phone ringing at midnight with an upset parent wanting us to come and get our child

Tonight when I put him to bed, I brought it up again. "When you go to Daniel's sleepover birthday party you need to realize that I won't be there for bedtime. You will go to sleep in Daniel's house with Daniel and his family, but not with mama and dad."

*Sniff* "I don't want to."

"It's okay," I said. "You can go to Daniel's for the party and before it's time to go to bed mom and dad will come to get you and bring you home."

I felt kind of mean waiting until bedtime to spring that whole idea on him, but it was perfect. How else was he going to realize just what it meant to have a sleepover party?

I really can't believe someone is having a sleepover party at this age. Can you? I can barely stand to leave him at his grandma's house, and I know that she loves him and will take care of him. How could I leave him to spend the night with a perfect stranger?

5 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    We had sleepover parties in Kinder. It was with families we knew, and we knew it was safe. No worries, it all depends on the child really. My oldest two have been going to sleepovers for years!!!!!

     
  • At 3:43 AM, Blogger carla said…

    that seemed really young to me too----for there to be one and for him to wanna GO.

    IMO kids that age are so literal that you HAD to wait until bedtime for him to get/grasp what you meant.

    me? I was thinking those parties started in 3rd grade with, maybe, a grandma sleepover before then.

    emma calls :)

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    It seems so young to me too....I'm glad that what it meant sunk in before you had to get the boy at midnight. I'll be interested to see how many boys stay...I bet he won't be the only one leaving.

     
  • At 6:56 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I would go for a sleep over at my house, before letting him go to another house.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    I'm thinking that sounds young to me too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home