Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, May 04, 2007

The last hard thing

We had Coal cremated.

The vet called last Friday and left a message that he was back and we could pick him up at our convenience.

Well, we were busy with the party and didn't go get him. It wasn't really that I didn't want to, it was just that I wasn't ready - even though I wanted him home.

On Tuesday MFH brought him home. At Home On The Range is the name of the cemetary and cremation place here. Isn't that kind of a cool name? They had placed his remains in a lovely tin box with his name on it, and then inside a maroon velvet bag with "Until we meet again at the Rainbow Bridge" embroidered on the front.

The tin box is remarkably small considering this black lab weighed in at 120 pounds in the prime of his life. When we lost him he was maybe 75 pounds.

Sometime this summer we are going to spread some of Brandy and Coal's ashes in their favorite places - our backyard, the swimming hole, and our property where they flushed out sage hens. Then we are going to place the remaining ashes in the mahogany box we bought when we lost Brandy. They were together in life, and now they'll be together for eternity.

I've gotten some lovely cards. The vet's office sent one with each staff member having written something nice about Coal. Now that's great customer service. We took his remaining Rimadyl, which is about one dollar per pill and almost a month's supply, and asked them to give it to someone with a pet in pain who can't really afford the medication. They were so grateful. We are very thankful for the awesome care they have shown both of our dogs in the past 16 years.

When MFH handed me the bag and Coal's collar, I lost it. And he said, "Seeing this is the last hard thing. Now you can start to heal."

I hope so.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    A few years ago, we had to put our little cocker spaniel, Penny to sleep. She was only 13 years old, but very sick. It broke my heart! We also had her cremated, and my mom joked about putting her in a pizza box because she loved pizza so much! (We didn't, really) She is buried in our backyard under our fish pond. I still can't look at a little red cocker without getting teary-eyed. My thoughts are with your family.;-)

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    More than anything, I recommend people have collars on their pets so the collars remain after their gone. Sometimes, I'll jingle Sadie's bell and tags, just to hear her. Sometimes, I sleep with the collar clutched in my hand. My son has even snatched it from me so he could sleep with it.

    I think your ways to remember him are very touching. They'll be hard, but beautiful as well.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH, the collar, that is sooo hard.

    Tears again.


    HUGS -- Julie

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    You will heal - in time.

    Sounds like you have a nice way to remember him though.

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    not much to say....thinking of you.
    it's so hard...

    Carla

     

Post a Comment

<< Home