Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Today you are 5 years old!

You've changed so much in the past year. You are a little boy who no longer resembles a toddler at all. We measured you this morning as we do twice a year, and in the last six months you've grown two inches! You are all legs!

It was never so clear to me that you're growing up as when I watched you play hockey this year. You are sure footed on the ice and have a keen sense of how the game is played. I was so proud to see you stand up for yourself. You have a sure sense of right and wrong, and I hope you never let anyone take advantage of you.

You've always been picky about your clothes, and now even more so. You want to dress like the big boys with their athletic pants and jackets and boxer shorts, and you are particularly fond of the N.ike s.woosh. I've always been proud of you for having an opinion about how you look.

You are honest, and I love that about you. When you have troubles at school you have always been truthful about the role you played. For that reason, I will always stand behind you.

You are very generous with affection and I love you's. When I drop you off every morning you run to the window and we wave and make the hand symbol for I love you to each other until I drive away.

You still love to play with me, and even though life gets in the way, you remind me of how much fun it is to swing so high you can touch the sky. Sometimes I swear you say "mom" a million times a day. I still marvel that I am a mom. Your mom. A role that I try so hard to be the best at yet sometimes fail so miserably.

Thank you for still wanting to be held and carried. Even though Dad thinks you're too big, it's good for my arms and back! Thank you for squeezing into the rocker with me for a bedtime story. Thank you for sharing a dance with me before lights out every night, and for wanting me to lay with you for just a minute while you settle down for sleep. Thank you for still letting me call you Baby.

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living,
My baby you'll be.

Happy Birthday, Baby.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Happy Birthday to The Boy!

    What exciting plans do you have for him for his celebration?

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Happy Birthday, Kiddo!

    Jeez, two inches in six months!

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Oh that's so sweet. Isn't it amazing how big our boys are getting! I spent all day yesterday looking at Little Boy and tearing up.

    Happy birthday to the birthday boy!

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely post.

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahhh, what a sweet post.

    happy birthday to the boy.

    julie and matthew

     
  • At 3:06 AM, Blogger AnneJ said…

    Goodness, that brought tears to my eyes. i have been aching to see that human relationships are still worth trusting on dispite all those that have been crumbling around. Thats what your post reinforced.

    I have been a reader of you blog for sometime and i can tell you that you are a great mother and your son must be blessed to have you as his mom.

    Do give your boy a Huge birthday hug from me.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    What an awesome post.

    Happy birthday !!!!!

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Blogger [] said…

    How sweet! Happy birthday to the little one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home