Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Boy.....who cried wolf

The Boy was feverish again on Sunday and progressed to vomiting by Monday morning. I stayed home with him and MFH traded out with me at lunch.

It's amazing to me that I used to have this huge bank of paid time off. So much so that when we outsourced our payroll to the s.atan company they were concerned that I wouldn't be able to use it all up.

I am now on borrowed time until my anniversary date of June 7, which hopefully I will never see. I am also salaried, so this should be of no concern to me. And trust me, if my son is sick, I will be with him.

I was quite ready to take him to the doctor Monday morning and start running tests to see why he is so sick this winter and spring. But, he's not the only one. This virus, whatever it is, is running amok in our community among the children AND the adults.

Tuesday morning he felt fine and we returned to our normal routine. Close to the end of the day I was called and told The Boy was feverish, but since the end of the day was so close it would be fine if he stayed until the normal pickup time. He was fine Tuesday evening.

Yesterday I was called at midmorning to come pick him up as his fever was climbing again. I'll admit, I was beginning to feel a little put out. But, a fever is a fever and rules are rules, so off I went. When I got there, he was looking out the window and when he saw me a smile appeared on his little face - only briefly - then his little pitiful sad look.

Uh huh.

What a fine afternoon he had, while I fretted about how to get all my work done. He played and watched cartoons and ate and said how much he liked to be home with mommy. And, try as I might, I could not get a fever to register on any of my thermometers.

I must need new batteries in both of them.

Today if he gets sick, they are instructed to call daddy instead of mommy.

Like that's gonna happen.

Daddy's not nearly as lenient as mommy.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    I'm surprised they let him back at all. Around here they have that 24 hour no fever/no meds rule.

    This stuff can drag out forever.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger DD said…

    It's happened on more than one occassion that I thought X was faking it, but it's because he acts so normal until it's really, really bad. He can be running amok, stop suddenly and go puke in the toilet and come out running around again.

    Until I catch him with a lighter and a thermometer in his room (the tools to fake a fever), I'll have to take his word.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home