Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, April 20, 2007

The Old West

A few weeks ago a very unfortunate incident was brought to the public's attention via news coverage and billboards. A family lost their beloved pet dog, a "cherished member of their family". He was shot to death.

This family moved to Montana, "The Last Best Place", and bought property on The Bozeman Pass. There they let their dogs run free because they are not in the city limits. But they are also not alone. They have neighbors, and one neighbor has three small children.

Mom came out of her house one day and found the dog bristled and growling at her children. She tried to get the dog to back down, but he wouldn't. She shot him. She also took the time to gather the dog up in a bag and take him home to the owners to explain what happened.

The owners are upset. They bought two large billboards and posted the dog's pictures with the caption "Marbles did not deserve to die." Mr. Owner said it was senseless and there were other options.

One option I see would be to keep your dog contained on your own property.

Today the letters to the editor got me riled. One person who recently moved here from the East wrote that we are rednecks here with our "got my shotgun in my shed" mentality. Why, back East where they come from if your dog is loose the kind neighbors will return it or even keep it in the house until you can come and get it. This same person then spouted off about how people walk their dogs downtown without leashes and why don't we enforce the leash law. WTF? Feel free to move back home, buddy.

I love my dog. I am a responsible pet owner. I love him enough to keep him home, because other people might not love him so much on their property. And even though he's good around me, you never know how he might act if he was running wild.

I hope I am never put in the position of coming between what I deem to be a dangerous dog and my child.

I would never allow my child to become a chew toy.

6 Comments:

  • At 10:13 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Wow. You would think with the money they had to spend on the two billboards, they could have afforded decent fencing to keep their dog on their own damn property.

    I would have done the exact same thing as that Mom and been damn proud of the fact I chose my children over an animal.

    (And I just realized something. The owners of the dog? They lost their Marbles. In more ways than one.)

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    As someone who lives "back East," I can't see shooting a dog. I mean, I don't think that I could do it -- unless I was convinced that dog would hurt myself or my children, which is what this woman apparently thought.

    Another thing that I know is that every place has a culture and if you don't like the culture of the place where you live....don't live there.

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Jessie said…

    I've been following this story from my little corner of the state. I agree with you. If your child is in danger, which it sounds like this child was, you HAVE to protect your child. Period. End of story.

    We have neighbors with lots and lots of dogs. They have a 6 foot fence backed up to our 6 foot fence. When my boys are in our backyard, this one dog jumps up to try to get to them. He is snarling and growling. He gets 1/2 way over the fence now and he's just getting higher.

    I love animals. But I know without a doubt that if that dog comes over the fence and comes after my kids, I will do whatever I have to to keep them safe. It is no different than if it were another human trying to hurt my child. I will do what I have to do to keep them safe. Period.

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of the 5 million dog bite victims in the U.S. per year, most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Between 15 and 20 dog bite victims die per year. Again, usually children.

    A billboard costs thousands and thousands of dollars. Why didn't those dog owners get an electric fence? A dog run? A kennel? How was that mom supposed to know that the dog wasn't rabid or vicious? Why didn't that mom call animal control to remove the dog?

    What an ugly situation. It all boils down to irresponsible dog owners. At least the dog was shot to death rather than suffer being hit by a car and dying a slow death. Shame on them for not taking better care of their animal.

     
  • At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a dog lover. When I started to read the blog today -- I thought oh no...I hate when dogs are abused (I cannot read or hear it -- I am a sissy). But thankfully I read on. Some people are just plain ignorant, like you I am a responsible pet owner and do not allow my beautiful child to be a chew toy.

    People just dont get it sometimes. I love the post above that if they had the $$ to get a billboard, why not a fence! LOL

    Thanks for sharing. I had not heard of this.

    Jules & Matthew

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    What a sad situation. How on earth is a mother to know that a dog isn't going to harm her child??? You bet that she needed to do whatever it took to protect her child.

    Like everyone else, I find it appalling that it had to happen in the first place because the owners were irresponsible letting the dogs run loose.

    There's an ongoing story in a city not far from here where there are a lot of cat owners upset because the cats keep getting killed by some roaming dogs. There's this huge call to arms for the dogs to get rounded up. Now, I do agree the dogs need to be contained or taken away. But, you know, the cats aren't legally allowed to roam either! I have 3 cats and they all stay in my house, safe and sound. I hate to hear about cats being mauled, but that just isn't going to happen if they're inside.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home