Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Great Warrior

The Boy and I had our wellness physicals yesterday. The doctor decided to wait until the very end of both appointments to give The Boy his vaccinations.

Because The Boy received the BCG vaccination when he was an infant in Guatemala, I decided to have the PPD tuberculosis skin test done on him. The BCG vaccination is given in a lot of countries other than the USA. They actually inject the tuberculosis serum into the baby, and in Guatemala it's as automatic as any other vaccination. But having had that he could very well throw off a false positive on the skin test. What they'll look for is a hard bump, and then the measurement of that hard bump. If it's 10mm or more, we'll have a chest xray. If there is any chance that he was exposed, he'll take meds for a 9 month period just to be safe.

I don't have any reason to think he is a carrier. So far there is no bump. We have it read tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.

He sat so still on my lap with his forearm on a table and watched as they put the needle in and injected him with serum, resulting in a mosquito bite-like bump. I couldn't believe it. I refuse to watch when they stick a needle in my arm. I'm not afraid of needles, but I definitely prefer not to watch. Not only did he watch, he didn't cry or even flinch.

Then he laid on the exam table for his other vaccinations. The nurse tried to find someone to help so they could stick him at the same time, but everyone was busy. He was fine with the first poke, then teared up with the second poke which was MMR that burned. We had a few tears which subsided with the mention of stickers and suckers.

After that we went to get lunch at B.urger K.ing and took it to the park for a picnic. Next was the promised reward to the candy store where he picked, of all things, peanut m&ms. And a giant pixy stick, which he later told his dad was a lot of sugar. Smart kid.

I'm glad we talked about the shots and what he should expect. I'm also glad he didn't listen to his friend at school that was already poked. His mother told me she had to restrain him for the nurse. Not so for my great warrior.

His conversation with my mom was priceless.

"Grandma, have you ever had shots?"

"Oh, honey, I've had so many shots I feel like a pin cushion!"

2 Comments:

  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Sounds like he did awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger DD said…

    My son wasn't the first in daycare to get his Kinder shots so he had to hear about how much it hurt all day from this other kid. He's already freaking out.

    After two years of not letting him see my syringes and needles, I figured now would be a good time to start so he can see it doesn't hurt and it's no big deal. We'll see if it pays off in July (which was the soonest we could get him in).

    What a brave little man you have there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home