Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

One of "those" parents

MFH has a niece and nephew that are quite a bit younger than him because his aunt is quite a bit younger than his father. Several times a year they travel from big city to our space to participate in soccer games or, at one time, traveling basketball. If we know about it ahead of time we attend the games.

The first time - well, every time if the truth be told - I am appalled by the parents' behavior. "Why are all the refs against us" and "I just can't believe how they are picking on our kids" and, yes, "My son isn't getting enough game time".

I swore I would never be one of "those" parents.

On Saturday, The Boy's hockey team hosted a team from a neighboring city for a two game scrimmage. Now, we are a hockey town and have a lot more participants in our program than the neighboring cities. In the first game they rotated the kids around in shifts, and every child got equal opportunity to play. In the afternoon, however, they split out some of the kids and had them scrimmage three on three at the other end of the ice. The idea was to rotate the kids in and out of the game, and rather than sit on the bench, they could work on skills.

Only that's not quite how it happened. The coaches got all caught up in the game and forgot to rotate the kids. My kid was one of the ones that didn't get rotated. Yes, it bothered him. And it bothered me, too, mostly because even though my son is one of the youngest, he is also one of the better skaters and one of the more aggressive players.

The coach later apologized for his mistake.

It was SO hard not to be one of "those" parents.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    We've all had our little moments where, even if it's just in our head, we are one of "those" parents. Don't fret. It's hard not to be bothered when we see the disappointment in our little one's faces. At least the coach had the cajones to apologize!!!

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Was The Boy disappointed, or does he get into watching the game and didn't really notice? I hope the Coach apologized in front of him as well.

    And we all have a little of "those parents" in us.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    I struggle with not being that parent too. It's really hard to watch injustice happen to your child and not do anything about it. It goes against every grain in me.

    But...I'm proud of you for holding it in! I'm glad the coach apologized.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home