Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Almost famous

This morning as I was driving to work the radio news announced that we are approaching the fourth anniversary of the invasion of I.raq.

I thought, "Four years? Surely it can't be four years!"

But then I realized that it's true.

Because at that same time, we were in Guatemala finalizing the adoption of our son. We are also approaching the fourth anniversary of him joining our family.

The invasion had a monumental impact on our trip.

Because not much that had to do with our adoption happened in a timely fashion, we were not at all surprised that our embassy appointment, too, had been delayed by two days. One day AFTER we were to return home to the United States.

We flew down on D.elta. We had return tickets with D.elta. No matter what they did, D.elta could not get us home until March 18. MFH freaked out. He was bound and determined NOT to be in another country on the day that our president invaded I.raq.

A.merican A.irlines could get us home on March 14. For $1500.00. Each.

We were on that plane.

We secured our seats on Tuesday to fly out on Friday. Later that week we were sitting out by the pool and visiting with other adoptive parents. We told them of our plight.

"You're the ones!" they exclaimed. "We've heard about you!"

2 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Funny how world events pop up and intertwine with our own. I associate 9/11 with my marriage ending. I'd much rather associate a big date with getting a kid!

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad something so very good happened that day.

    I remember getting my booster shots before starting kindergarten. The doctor tricked me, and my mom was in on it. Traumatic. I couldn't, or maybe I wouldn't, sit on my butt on the ride home. I sat on my knees, my butt facing the windshield and I cried tragically. I remember my mother's face. It was the first time I saw her suffer on my behalf.

    I bet it wouldn't have been such a big deal if I'd only known what was happening. I hope The Boy doesn't feel anxiety over it. Poor kid.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home