Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

That's Hockey!

When The Boy was two years old, his daycare provider started taking him to the public library once a month. One book that he would bring home each and every time it was available is a book titled "That's Hockey!"

This is a story of children in Canada that play street hockey. The only gear they use is sticks and a ball. In it, the goalie is a little boy nicknamed Tooth because he has no front teeth. He had them knocked out twice in one year and his dad wouldn't buy him new ones until he quit playing hockey. I found this book in an online store and bought it for The Boy for Christmas. It was unavailable until recently, and it arrived in time for Valentine's Day. We are enjoying reading it again - every night.

The first year that we followed junior hockey here, The Boy was drawn to a player that was missing a front tooth. Whenever we saw Ross, The Boy would scream "Tooth" until one day Ross asked why and we told him about the book. He knew that book from his childhood.

Last year was the first year we hosted a player. Jake had players over to the house all the time, and one of them was also missing a front tooth. He had a fake one in it's place, but would remove it for The Boy upon request.

This year's team has no missing teeth. But last night, in the third playoff game, Paul body checked a guy from behind, knocking him face first to the ice. He laid there a few minutes, stood up, picked up his front tooth and skated to the bench.

The Boy was delighted.

When I took him to school today, he excitedly told the teachers how Paul knocked #33's tooth out last night.

They asked me what I'll do if that ever happens to The Boy. I'll admit I've thought about it. He has beautiful teeth and I'd hate to see a big gaping hole in there or a discolored fake tooth.

I have two words as a solution:

Face mask.

As long as I'm paying the dental bills, he'll be wearing a face mask.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    The things that these boys click onto crack me up. And I definitely think that a face mask is a great idea!

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger [] said…

    Definitely go with the face mask - although The Boy might attach a certain level of pride to the possibility of losing a tooth on the battle field.

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    The face mask idea is very reasonable. You have to have the right equipment if ya wanna play!! I always thought it was silly that men would cover up their johnsons, but not their faces!!! Good call mom!

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totally picture The Boy as a teen, rolling his eyes, putting on his face mask because his mom "makes him."

    I have dental implants due to a genetic recessive trait rather than hockey. They cost a fortune, but are totally worth it. I had the discolored fake teeth throughout my childhood. Not fun.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home