Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, February 05, 2007

Fun-damentals

Saturday The Boy had a hockey tournament in a neighboring town. They played two games, one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

The kids play five on the ice at a time, in one or two minute shifts. When the buzzer sounds they know to skate back to the bench and the next line comes out to play. It is the first time The Boy has played an organized game.

It is important to mention here that at this level they play with nets to score in, but without goaltenders to guard the nets.

I've wondered many times how the kids know what to do in a game. Sure they know to skate after the puck and to try to shoot the puck into the net, but what about the rest?

Apparently they haven't learned the rest. Because, towards the end of the second game The Boy finally scored. Twice. For the other team.

Everyone cheered. The parents, the other kids, the referee. The Boy celebrated his goals. The coaches gave him high fives. It was really quite cute.

Thank heavens at this level they don't keep score.

I know the goaltender's purpose is to keep the puck out of the net. Maybe it's also to remind the rest of the team to shoot at the guy wearing the different jersey.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger DD said…

    Ah yes. During soccer X scored 2 goals, for the opposing team.

    He was tickled and I was incredibly proud. Most parents at those games get it and everyone cheers regardless.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    I am cracking up! I love peewee sports.

    We have always done baseball here, where chasing butterflies in the outfield is much more fun than waiting for the ball.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Right on!!! You made a very good point about the goalie...I never thought of it that way!

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    hee hee! I bet it's a sight to behold!

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pee wee sports are so cute... my stepbrother played pee wee soccer, but I called it beehive soccer because everyone clumped around the ball like a bunch of bees at a hive.

    In regards to American Idol -- I'm often surprised that the panel isn't even meaner at some of the people who audition.

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger beth said…

    I can't wait 'till Sam's old enough to play pee wee sports. We go to music class at the Y and they have these giant cutouts on the wall of people playing various sports. We discuss them every week and I wonder which one he'll want to play.

    Hooray for The Boy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home