Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Idol-ized

The only reality television I watch is American Idol. I look forward to every episode, from the auditions to the final competition. In the Stiletto household we crack up and make fun of the weird people, clap for those with great voices, and even feel sad for the ones that are just not quite good enough.

Yes, I vote, if there is a contestant that I am passionate about.

Like Bo. *heavy heavy sigh*

There seems to have been more press this season than ever before about how mean the panel is, in particular Simon. I have seen some of the auditions floating around the internet and read blog entries about how awful it is that these people are ridiculed on nationwide television.

Here's the thing.

It's a singing competition. If you suck at singing, don't go.

Sure your friends say you are great when you sing karaoke. That's what friends do. They don't want to hurt your feelings.

Your mama might even say you sing like a bird. Perhaps she lied to spare your feelings, or maybe she's tone deaf. Of this I am sure - I love The Boy with all my heart and I want the very best for him - but if he couldn't sing, the last thing I would do is let him appear on television and make a fool of himself.

In reality, these people probably know they suck. They might be the class clown seeking attention of any kind, but more likely, they just want their 15 seconds of fame.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger DD said…

    I thought the competitors had to actually win local competitions to audition for those three. If so, then obviously the network is looking for ratings.

    If no preliminary auditioning is required, then I agree. They are looking for their fame, suckage and all.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    When the people are really bad and don't realize how bad they really are, my mom and I like to say, "How sad...They don't have any friends or a mommy!" I'm with you. It's a singing competition...Don't go if you can't sing. I promise you, I won't be showing up at any ballerina competitions any time soon!

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said…

    As far as I can tell from the website rules, you just show up and stand in line. That's it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home