Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dear Parents:

I love getting newsletter updates from The Boy's preschool. He's pretty good at conveying the contents of his day to us in our dinnertime conversations, but it's always good to see things from a different point of view.

Naturally I visit with the teachers during drop off and pick up, but some things are just easier to say on paper, such as the following:

"We have tried to work individually with each family's situation regarding payment of tuition, but some of you continue to fall behind and some of you are not paying at all."

WTF?

I didn't know that paying tuition was optional. Or that you could maybe skip a month because something important came up, like Christmas. It's just something I do automatically on the first and fifteenth of the month.

I feel bad for these ladies because what do you do? Kick the kids out? Punish the children for the sins of the parents, so to speak?

Why would people have children if they cannot afford the costs associated with having children?

When I asked about it this morning, this was the reply - "When I started this business the first thing I was told by the state agency in charge of childcare was this - You will find that childcare is the last expense that will get paid and the first expense people will skip if money is tight."

These are the people in charge of caring for our children. No wonder there are so many bad caregivers out there.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The keyword in your post is "have" children. Sad as it is there are a LOT of people who "have" children yet can't afford the costs to even meet the basic needs of the child. It happens all the time and were are all paying for it.
    The difference with people "like us" who adopt, is that we must evaluate whether or not we can afford child expenses as well as provide proof of it during the process.
    I swear if everyone who wanted to "have" a child had to go thru what people have to go thru to adopt a child then there would be so many less children born to parents who can't take care of them!
    But then there would be fewer for adoption too so I guess it's a no win either way. Oh well.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I had a comment, but it was eaten...

    I know for a fact that at our school (private/catholic) it is the wealthy families with one child who pay late/pay in portions, whereas the single-income, 5 children families pay timely and in full because they are the ones who appreciate the opportunity their children are getting.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Its an option? Childcare expenses for us are greater than our mortgage payment a month, yet I still cut them a check every Monday. It wouldn't even occur to me, not to.

    Weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home