Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Naughty List

It's a good thing Christmas is over, or my son would definitely have gotten coal in his stocking this year.

Last Thursday his teacher indicated that he had to be told things several times before he would listen. I know of what she speaks. We have the same problem at home lately. On Friday he had to miss recess. He had to be told seven times to do something. When the teacher threatened to call me? He said, "My mom won't do anything to me."

Whoa.

We've been seeing this problem at home, too, though not to this degree. He and his dad have been butting heads a lot lately. His dad is a little less tolerant of misbehaviors and rides him a little harder than me.

I came up with this solution. The Boy gets $5 a week for allowance. Everyday when I pick him up from school I will ask for a progress report for that day. If he listens he will get a sticker on the calendar. If he doesn't listen, no sticker, and one dollar less for allowance that week. Allowance is very important to The Boy. We don't buy toys for him. This is his means to purchase what he wants so badly every week. Plus, he's learning a valuable lesson about money. He saves up until he can buy what he wants, and he is remorseful of frivolous purchases.

If he doesn't listen at home he loses a privilege - his choice of Xb0x, television, or hockey for the next day. The listening meltdown usually occurs at bedtime.

We are wondering, oh wise internets, if this is an age thing, a post-Christmas thing, or just plain being overtired from hockey? Or all of the above?

1 Comments:

  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    man emma is SO GOING to be like that as well.

    Im learning from you what to do...
    thank you for sharing all this.


    Carla

     

Post a Comment

<< Home