Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Potluck

If you've seen 'S@nta Cl@use 2' and can remember the high school staff Christmas party, then you can visualize my company potluck party Saturday night. We have three stores and one store did not represent. The other two segregated themselves completely from one another, and then segregated again by department. It was pretty quiet with the occasional yawn and sly peek at the watch to see how slowly time was ticking away.

We have a fairly new sales staff member at this location. He and his wife are 25 years old and she is 4 months pregnant. They live in an apartment and got pregnant when they didn't even have health insurance. In fact, he didn't even have a job.

Gasp!

See, I wanted my ducks in a row before I started a family. College education. Good job. House. Enough money. Health insurance. Baby.

I did visit with her and I wasn't a total bitch. Only when she complained about being sick.all.the.time. and having to constantly eat and even having to quit her job as a nanny because she's so.tired.all.the.time. did my neck start to twinge. And I did make this comment - "Well, imagine wanting to experience a pregnancy and not being able to do so." I made her just a tad uncomfortable I could tell, and she acknowledged my point with a nod.

My life happened just the way I planned it. Only it didn't happen just the way I planned it. There were a few detours down the road, but it all worked out in the end. And, that's what really matters.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM, Blogger DD said…

    When the gal in our office announced her pregnancy (she was also 25 at the time), I just thought how could they? He hasn't finished school and when he does, he will likely have to move; and they live in an apartment.

    Sometimes those detours are necessary and oddly, welcoming.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    We all have a plan, and rarely does it work out like it should. I was 19 and dating a loser when I became pregnant with my oldest son. No job or insurance. I was going to college at the time, but my boyfriend was a real idiot with no hope. I was young and decided to keep the baby, despite all the cards stacked against us. Things are wonderful for us now because I busted my butt to make it happen. Everyone's life is different. She may not be making the decision with her brain, but maybe she's making it with her heart. You never know, things may turn out wonderful in the end. They did for me, and I think you feel the same way, too! :-)

     
  • At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like you, I was careful to do things "right." I wish I'd been careless. Maybe my ovaries would have cooperated if I'd tried at a younger age before they were completely calcified.

    There is a long road ahead of me yet... hopefully things will work out.

    I love being mildly bitchy to fertiles when they complain too much. It's evil, for sure, but I don't care anymore.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger beth said…

    I really identify with this post. From the twingeing neck to the life plan and the way it did/didn't work out.

    Last night I was playing with Sam and I was stuck with amazement at that moment that I was there, in my house, with my son. Sort of like, My God, how did I get here, only in a good way.

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Happy said…

    I could totally relate to what you said. I'm ashamed to admit (and was reamed out by my husband) that when my best friend was complaining about how hard the pregnancy was and the havoc that it was reeking on her body I looked at her said, what if you weren't able to be pregnant? There was an uncomfortable silence. I felt bad afterward though. And the office party? They always seem to be like that. Why or why don't they get music at those things to make it a little livelier?

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    I don't know that I can relate to anyone's pain when they are trying to concieve. I didn't have that problem. I promise you I sympathize and have hopes that women who want children will find a way to have a child (or more) in their lives. I can't even imagine how difficult that journey is. BUT, it doesn't take away the fact that some pregnancies are difficult, painful and can wreck a woman's body. It's not the woman's fault-or yours-that you couldn't concieve. I don't think she was trying to make you feel bad. I realize that it may be a sensitive issue for you, but maybe she didn't know about all that. Sometimes it seems as if you harbor a prejudice towards women who gave birth to their own children. Do you?

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home