Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, December 18, 2006

The weekend in review

As would be typical for my family, we awoke to a blizzard Friday morning. The day we HAD to travel to meet MFH's family for The Polar Run. As it turned out, it kind of centered around our little mountain community, so we did drive out of it. We got to the hotel, the cousins got to swim a bit, and it was time to meet the train. The kids got dressed in their jammies, and off they went with grammy and grandpa. And off we went to the lounge.

We sat down with our first drinks and heard rumblings that the train had electrical problems. Thirty minutes later, my FIL came to get us so grammy could read the hotel staff the riot act for ruining her Polar Run experience with her only grandkids.

More swimming. A pizza party for the kids by the pool courtesy of the hotel. Santa and Mrs. Clause arrive to read to the kids and have photos taken. Most of the kids are taking this in stride because how would they know the difference? My own was disappointed but was having fun anyway. The grandparents, on the other hand? Furious. All of them, and there were many.

Head Polar person comes around to tell us that the train is up and running, and we can get on the 8:00 trip. We scramble and grammy and grandpa and grandkids are off again.

Only, granddaughter likes her rest and managed to sleep through the whole thing. The Boy enjoyed himself. The North Pole was pretty, he said. I imagine it was kind of anticlimactic, though, since the story had already been read and Santa had already made his appearance. The Boy did say he was disappointed that there were tables and chairs to sit on in the train instead of the pew-like seating in the movie.

I gave grandma my camera. Grandma, who is famous for cutting off heads in pictures even though it is digital and what you see is what you get. She took four very boring pictures of the kids sitting at the table.

The next morning we awoke to a blizzard. Again we drove out of it, but in retrospect I think the whole thing was jinxed from the beginning.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Next year, send your son with his own disposable camera and let him take some pictures.

    And actually, Fisher Price has a digital camera just for kids.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My, my, my...

    It is quite funny to me that the world over grandparents and their progeny have the same sorts of experiences.

    I can recall a similar disappointment, complete with the boring photos, from when I was a kid -- seven years old. On the Bimbo's train in Cartagena Colombia. We were going to visit Baby Jesus in the manger. It was a disaster.

    Your story made me miss my grandparents.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home