Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Bitter, much?

I just happened to casually mention that B@rbie is on the list of girl's favorite toys this Christmas to my co-workers downstairs. Not that B@rbie is the ideal role model, with her large boobs and tiny waist, but at least she's not awash in makeup and is usually clothed pretty respectfully. I loved Barbie. I only had one and I played with her for years.

I think Holly, my favorite workmate, had a bad weekend. She went off about how we send the message to young girls that they should grow up, get married and have 2.5 children or they are a failure. Their grandmothers will forever pray that they meet the right man so they can live the American dream. There's more to life than that. Her grandparents insisted on giving her dolls for Christmas every year and she hated dolls. She liked Eeyore. He was cool. He lived in her B@rbie townhouse even though he didn't fit in the elevator, and drove her B@rbie car.

B@rbie accessories that I would've given my eye teeth for, by the way.

She was still going on about it as I walked up the stairs to my office.

Holly is 34-ish and living with a man. Her biological clock is tick-tick-ticking (she's mentioned this to me - I would never make that assumption) and there is no engagement ring on her finger.

I think from now on I'd better stick to safer topics.

Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

  • At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pets are always a safe topic...

    I LOVED B@rbie. I had a collection of ethnic bar.bies -- my favorite was Japanese bar.bie (she looked like a young Connie Chung with long hair)and Cuban bar.bie.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Well-heeled mom said…

    Her cat recently got hit by a car and died. Can you believe that? So, even though my own dog is old and literally on his last two legs, I can't even talk about that safely.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger DD said…

    How 'bout your much maligned and tight-assed boss? When you can't talk about him because he's loitering, talk about your favorite places to clothes shop...or shoes.

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    How 'bout Martinis or something? Or is she on the wagon?

    Sheesh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home