Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Unwelcome visitor

The last two mornings have greeted me with a familiar discomfort. I'll spare the dreadful details, but I could feel a UTI coming on. Not wanting to spend Christmas with a full blown infection I decided to stop at Urgent Care last night on the way home.

There was definitely bacteria, a borderline infection but we are treating it. I sent MFH to the pharmacy and he opted for generic meds - thank God - as it saved $62.00. Can you believe that? $87 for antibiotics? Crazy.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is really to apologize publicly to my son, who I am sure one day will be on a psychiatrist's couch and I will be the root of all his troubles. Poor child. He's accompanied me to my annual pap exam (although my doc was very discreet, but still) and now he had to watch me pee in a cup. I think next I'll take him to my annual mammogram just to let him know how really lucky he is to be a male.

In the comments of my last post I was asked if I harbor prejudice toward women who are able to give birth to their own children.

Not at all.

I am sure pregnancy is hard on the body. I am sure being sick all the time sucks. I am sure that carrying around that baby and caring for it 24/7 makes one tired.

I have been accused of building my family "the easy way" by a pregnant friend of mine. She meant it in jest, but there is nothing easy about adoption. I am just so very thankful that it was an option for me. My son is my miracle in spite of the fact that some other wonderful woman gave birth to him. It would seem odd that I would bear prejudice toward her, wouldn't it?

4 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I don't think "prejudice" is a good term (to pre-judge). You are pre-judging any woman who gets pregnant. For me, I ENVY women who can pick and chose when and WHERE they get pregnant. Oh, hell, I'll go so far as to say I'm jealous of that ability...and I was once one of them.

    We had to take our son along for the 6wk US. Do you know how hard it is to cry quietly?

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Those who make those comments will hopefully be fortunate enough to never have to confront feelings they aren't used to or always proud of. When you suffer infertility, it does make you a bit sad that you weren't able to carry a child. Even after adoption and having the most awesome gift in the world in your child, you can't help but have some of those feelings. I will always have a little twang inside of me that I never got to experience that.

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Happy said…

    Building a family the EASY WAY? (If I could scream that I would). Shall we discuss the total LACK of CONTROL that an adoptive mother has? If all I had to do was have sex, not smoke or drink, eat nutritiously, take prenatal vitamins, and go though a painful delivery I would be thrilled! Especially because I do the having sex part, no smoking, and eating nutritious part already... Wow, are you still friends w/that person? Ok, you can tell I'm in a bad place right now.

    Anyway, sorry about the UTI that sucks. I used to have BIG problems with the whole urinary region. I do know the discomfort, but it's good you are getting it taken care of. It would have been worse if you had the infection over the holidays.

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger [] said…

    There's no such thing as having a family the easy way, whichever way you end up doing it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home