Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, January 29, 2007

House Hunting

It goes from exciting to frustrating to "I'm done" in no time at all.

Actually, in about 5 hours.

We want to be on the outskirts of Big City, because we want a few acres. So, we started looking to the northeast where you can get a 4 bedroom house on 20 acres for anywhere from $250-300,000. That's exactly what we were looking for - except you have to haul water and they are heated with electric baseboard. That equates to pain in the butt and expensive. And, it meant being on the road for probably an hour each way to and from work. Both of us. In separate cars. Separate cars that both get 15 or so miles to the gallon. Yikes.

So, then we head the other direction. Southwest. Beautiful homes on acreage, again with hauled water and propane heat. Not quite as far from jobs, though. So, that's still an option I suppose.

Going west to a small suburb of Big City we have to compromise on acreage. A nice home on 4 acres with an additional large outbuilding (a must) is around $300,000 with city water and sewer, and much closer to jobs. Bingo.

We are just 5 years from paying off our house. Now we might be starting over. Well, not quite because we have a lot of equity in our house. We bought it at a very good time, before everyone wanted to live here. It's still hard for me. The good part is we would be much closer to our parents and we would never have the opportunity to upgrade in housing if we stay here. Well, I shouldn't say never because that's not true. It would just cost a lot more money.

Change is hard for me. If it's right, everything will fall into place.

I just hope I don't fall to pieces in the meantime.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    I suck at change, too.

    Good luck as you keep your head during this. I am considering a move, but keep burying my head about it.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Good luck, it sounds exciting! Man, I wish we could get that kind of acreage for that price. However, hauling water??? huh?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home