Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Neeeaaarrr Faaaaarrrrrrr

Which muppet did that on Sesame Street. Was it Grover? Animal? Sesame Street was after my time. You'd think I would have paid attention since my nephews watched it constantly, but I was probably on the phone yakking with a boyfriend instead of watching them. I used to love talking on the phone. Now? Not so much.

I've been wearing reading glasses with my contact lenses with alarming frequency in the past few months. Thank God glasses are so "in" right now. Have you noticed? They are an accessory as much as purses and jewelry! I love it! But wearing contacts and glasses? Kind of redundant.

At my appointment in late December, I asked about bifocal contact lenses. My very nice doc gave me a pair to try. She did warn me that the near correction wouldn't be as good as with glasses. Lo and behold, I still had to wear reading glasses at work. Damn. So she gave me another pair with stronger near vision, but told me my distance vision would be compromised, and it is. Not bad, but noticeable. And they don't come in colors. Huge drawback.

My new bifocal glasses rock. They are so stylish. But let me tell you, you have to point your nose at what you want to look at because the peripheral vision is blurred. To the point of getting a headache blurred. And the lenses are small, so the transition from distance to near vision is a very fine line.

It all just makes me feel so old. Do they say eyesight is the first thing to go?

Near or far. What's more important? I suppose if you are out driving anywhere in my vicinity, you might choose far.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please... near is way more important. Who cares what stuff looks like far away?

    Be advised that I'm insanely vain about my eyes and haven't bothered wearing my glasses in... oh... three years? On a walk with my husband last Spring I commented on the cute bunny "over there," and when we came upon it I realized it was a CINDER BLOCK.

    I am Ms. Magoo.

     
  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger DD said…

    Actually, it's your boobs that are the first to go. South that is.

    I'm sure eyesight is a close second. Good thing we don't have to put support bras on our heads or glasses on our tits.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Grover did it. "Up close..Far away"

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Oh...And I would totally stick with the contacts and reading glasses, but that's just me. My dad wears bifocals (he is only 50), and he looks waaaaay old when he has to look down his nose at what he's reading! I wear glasses all the time, as I am VERY near-sighted. And yes, I feel like they are very stylish, but I still feel sexier when I'm not wearing any.(glasses, that is!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home