Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I'm just a bill

In my mind I can see the little rolled up piece of paper singing it's way to becoming a law on Capitol Hill. Was that Schoolhouse Rock? It's funny how things like that stick with you for so many years after the fact.

The Superintendent of Public Instruction for the state of Montana has introduced a bill to endorse full-day kindergarten, citing that these children achieve greater success later on in school. It's offered in some districts already at a cost to the taxpayers of that district. This bill, already passed throught the Senate, will provide state funding to those districts that choose to offer full-day kindergarten. It will not be mandatory. It is expected to reach opposition in the House, probably due to the rising taxes it will create.

Our district currently offers a half-day program. I am fine with that. Honestly, from my teaching days which were forever ago, I can recall that half-day is enough for most children. It's a good transition into the idea of school. Sure, The Boy attends preschool all day, but it's not learning all day. There is a lot of non-structured play included in his day.

I can see the upside to this idea for a lot of people. No more daycare expense.

Maybe I'm just having trouble letting go. Right now, The Boy still seems so little. All that changes when they start school. Before I know it, he'll be out the door to college.

Another mother I was visiting with at hockey last night affirmed these feelings for me. Her son turned six yesterday. I said I can't believe how quickly time goes. Her reply? "Just wait until he starts school."

3 Comments:

  • At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can sing that little ditty too.

    are we dating ourselves?

    ;)

    Carla

     
  • At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Happy said…

    I remembe School House Rock too. One Christmas I bought the DVD for my honey.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home