Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The rest of the story

This morning I took the opportunity to talk alone with the preschool director. There is a lot of illness going around, so there were few kids when we arrived. The other teacher is out with a sick child. I was not angry. I stated what The Boy said to me, and how he said he obtained the information.

As I suspected, the story involving babies in cribs everywhere is the story of H, the other Guatemalan adoptee, whose parents picked her up in an hogar (orphanage). It was a traumatic experience for them, and something they have spoken of in front of the other children. There was, however, no mention by her of dead babies.

The other teacher called me after I had gotten to work because she wanted to talk about my concerns. Her young daughter attends the preschool after regular school is out for the day. She cannot walk. I have never inquired as to why. Today I learned that she was born four months premature. At one point she was intubated and pulled the tube out. She was without oxygen for five minutes, and that is why she can't walk. Ultimately, she was dead. She tells this story. It is the only connection they can make to the dead baby in a crib reference.

Neither teacher could recall talking about how The Boy was born.

It's not such a big deal to tell him that he was not born of me. But I am his mother. Mommy. Mama. It has to be hard to hear of another mom that had you by birth but now you live with mommy. That is what I am afraid he can't process right now. We are close. He is as much a part of me as I can imagine any bio child ever to be.

I have read many opinions regarding adoption, and of informing people when such is the case. I know some parents that send a letter to the new teacher each year explaining the child's situation. I know some people feel compelled to tell everyone that's how they built their family. I don't, and I won't.

I am not ashamed of it. I just don't offer it up. The Boy is fair complected. He resembles his daddy. There are never any questions or even questionable looks in our direction in public. I get comments all the time that he acts like me, has daddy's hair, has grandpa's eyes. I simply smile and say thank you.

I could easily laugh and say, "Really? Because he's adopted, you know." But I don't.

I will not let being adopted define his life. There is so much more that he can be, and will be, than that.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:25 AM, Blogger beth said…

    Wow. I missed Monday's post until just now. I'm stunned, and angry on your behalf, that someone else would tell your child that he wasn't "borned in your tummy." Especially a teacher. Violated is a good word--I'd feel that way too.

    When we first brought Sam home people (like complete strangers in WalMart) would say, "wow you don't look like you just had a baby." And at first I'd say that Sam was adopted. Then, I learned, as you said, to just smile and say thank you. Scott does the same when people say Sam looks just like him.

    I'll stop writing otherwise my comment will end up longer than your post.

    take care,
    beth

     
  • At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's always funny - my dad was very tall with brown hair and eyes, my mom had brown hair, brown eyes. My brother (who is also adopted) came along tall with brown hair and brown eyes. I'm blond, blue eyed, and a lot shorter. My aunt and I were talking not long ago, and she said, "you look like your dad when you say that" - and I said, "But I'm adopted!". Her answer? "I always forget".

    I loved that.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (I love that too hdw.)

    again, thanks for your lovely and HONEST posts.


    Carla

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    I'd still kick some asses. My family is a rainbow of colors. I was married to a white man and had two white children by him. One is slightly darker and favors his bio dad, and my second one is very pale, irish white like my family. My current husband is black, and we have a child together. Often times, when he has all the children, he runs into someone who doesn't know what to say. Someone once said that my very white child looked just like him!!! Really, people just don't know how to handle these situations! Good luck...I'm sure it will get easier over time!

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Jessie said…

    That was a very eloquent post. It's funny to me how much people think it's all their business at all, you know? Before Little Boy was born we heard all the time how much Teenage Boy looks just like his dad. And now that Little Boy is in the picture, all we hear is how much he looks like me. I take my lead from him. He knows his story. If he tells people that I'm not biologically his mom, then I help him explain (if he needs it). But most of the time he just smiles and nods. It should be none of their concern.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home