Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Shots

The Boy is fast approaching five years old, and it occurred to me last week that I'll need to make an appointment for him to get the rest of his boosters in order to attend kindergarten.

He hasn't had any shots that he can remember, so in my mind I was trying to figure out how to prepare him for this.

Yesterday when I was in the bathroom getting ready for work, he came in and said, "Mom, B**** turned five and now he has to go to the doctor and get some shots to go to big boy school. They hurt."

Me - "Who told you about shots?"

Him - "Miss Re**** did."

Miss Re**** is B****'s mom. She is one of the caregivers at his preschool.

I took this opportunity to tell him that when he turns five he, too, will go to the doctor to get shots in order to go to kindergarten.

"Will it hurt, mom?"

I told him it will feel like a poke with a pinch, but when it's over we'll do something to make him happy as a reward.

At dinner last night I spelled out to MFH that Miss Re**** so kindly told The Boy about getting s-h-o-t-s when you turn five.

He looked at me oddly and said, "Why would she do that?"

Exactly.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Shut yer trap, Miss Re. Sheesh.

    I recall having this dilemma with my son, knowing he'd not remembered any previous shots. I'll admit that I blindsided him with it; I will never forget the distrust and outright indignation in his eyes. However, I would not change a thing.

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger DD said…

    When X was a baby, my husband had to go with me to get his shots. It made me cry just as much as he did.

    Now that he's older, I still think Dad will have to go along for his boosters. I'm a wuss, but I'm trying not to let on that the shots will hurt. I don't think he's buying it.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    The boys have often surprised me because as they get older, they "man up" and say that it doesn't hurt.
    The Miss what's her face probably was trying to prepare the kids for the situation, I don't know. I don't think she had bad intentions. That stuff happens more and more the older they get. I would like to say that I've taught my sons more things about life than school, but sometimes I am shocked by what they bring home. You can't control other people. You would probably be surprised at what other parents tell their kids as well! I'm sure he'll do fine. I agree with taking them out afterwards to do something fun. The park or ice cream always worked for me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home