Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Home Sweet Home

We bought our house 13 years ago. An old lady lived there that had apparently been on a shoestring budget. We fondly say that she liked to paint, unfortunately, with anything she could get off the clearance rack that had been badly mixed. We had salmon, plum, turquoise, mustard - yes, lovely all of it. She hadn't updated the carpet or any appliances since sometime in the 70's.

The market was right at the time, and we got the house for a good price. We painted and updated, but like the previous owner, on a shoestring budget.

We've redone some things over the years, but this is the summer of my discontent, and we are redoing in a major way.

We picked out new carpet last weekend. We lived with the wood floors for awhile, and then carpeted about 9 years ago. This is a project we wanted to put off as long as possible because we are messy. You know, a boy and a dog? And a hockey player? Waayyy too much testosterone. But it's time. And, Hockey Player is coming to visit for two weeks! We are using his brawn to move heavy stuff to lay new carpet. How convenient was that?

Our kitchen was ghastly - dark cabinets with years of grease embedded into the finish. Years ago we sanded them to bare wood and whitewashed them. It was nice but I didn't put any finish on the whitewash. Who knew? I didn't want them to get all sticky with grease again, which didn't happen. See how smart I am? They got stained instead. This week we are sanding them, whitewashing again, and using a clear satin finish. They look brand new! MFH is so wonderful - he doubles as a handyman and a mechanic.

My MIL is the queen of painting. She loves it. Me? Not so much. MFH? Not at all. It is time to freshen up the dining room walls, and I am going bold. Thanks to Michelle, who wouldn't tell me where she lives so I could steal her stuff, I am going red. I heart red. The Boy says red is mama's favorite color.

My kitchen and dining area are decorated with chili peppers and wine, red of course, which I collect. If you have any of either you'd like to part with, send em my way.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger DD said…

    Before and after pictures are always appreciated...

    POST SOME PICTURES, DAMMIT!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home