Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Overheard

It was the height of the holiday season, December 2002.

We were well into the adoption process. I had accepted as best I could that my son would not be home for his first Christmas.

By now I had become a recluse, tired of answering "I don't know" whenever I was asked when he was coming home, which seemed like the only thing anyone ever said to me.

We had to attend MFH's Christmas party. It's a small company, mostly men. There are never more than a handful of women in attendance. All of the other wives have bio children. It was during the cocktail hour that I overheard it.

"If I ever decide to have more children, I'm going to adopt like Stiletto. SHE'S DOING IT THE EASY WAY."

Tell it to my heart.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:41 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    Oh yeah, REALLY EASY.

    I think I would have tossed my martini in her face.

    Ugh.

     
  • At 5:49 PM, Blogger [] said…

    Many don't understand that people become parents through giving love, not by merging chromosomes.

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I.am.speechless.

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    I am reminded me a poem my mom gave me (which I'm sure you have heard already) but it says essentially:

    What are you a product of, heredity or environment? Neither, just two different kinds of love.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home