Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Playing Favorites

I've often marveled at a mother's ability to love all her children the same. I know my heart just bursts at the seams when I think of my son and how much I love him. Have I ever wondered if I could love another child as much as I love him? Of course I have. Humans are amazing creatures, though, and there is plenty of love to go around.

I also know from having been a teacher, that you have your favorites. Pets. You try really hard not to show it, but it's there.

My mom has always had a soft spot for my older brother. Last week she called me at work like she often does, and our conversation went like this:

Her - "Boy we had a scare this week."
Me - "Really? What happened?"
Her - "Well, your brother went to the dentist and they sent him to an oral surgeon because he had a growth on his throat and it could've been cancer. They cut it off and biopsied it and it's okay, but I just couldn't sleep all week until I knew. I was just worried sick."

This is the same mother who I had to call to remind that I was having a mole biopsied in May. The same mother who I had to call and tell her two weeks later and a week after the biopsy was back that it was benign. Apparently there wasn't the same level of worry there. I was somewhat hurt and angry that she seemed so worried about him and not so much about me. But, it's always been that way.

And then I remembered - I was my dad's favorite.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Andrew McAllister said…

    I couldn't help admiring your shoes... :o)

    I wonder if you asked your Mom if she would be aware of the difference in how she acts towards the two of you? Did your Dad admit to favoritism, or was this just a conclusion you drew on your own?

    To Love, Honor and Dismay
    -

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Cindy-Lou said…

    Ha! That's funny.

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger DD said…

    I guess I would have to admit that I favor my mother over my father.

    A lot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home