Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, July 24, 2006

2006-1959=

47.

Today I am 47 years old.

For the most part age is a state of mind. But, there are some things I've noticed in the past year that bother me. My periods are not as regular as they used to be. Although I look forward to being done with it all since the plumbing is useless to me, I would prefer for them to be regular as long as it's going to stick around. My body is getting "softer". I am going to have to work out harder. I am carrying around an extra 5 or so pounds, and for the first time in my life, diet is not working. I'm bummed about that. My aunt so rudely pointed out that it's because I drink beer. If that's true, why are alcoholics so often skinny? Besides, I have enjoyed beer for all of my adult life, and it's never been a culprit before now. And, I don't drink beer every day, for crying out loud, but it's never too late to start!

Birthdays were never a really big deal around our house. My mom still calls me to this day and says the same thing every year - "Do you feel a year older? Oh, it's just another day." I disagree. Every other day is just another day, perhaps, but this is the day I was born. That should be special to my mom.

This morning The Boy came up to me with raised arms. I picked him up with a big hug and he said, "Today is your birthday. Happy birthday, mommy!"

What a great way to start my 47th year.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger DD said…

    The nice thing is that your children rarely see your birthday as "any other day". To them, your birthday is just as magical as when they have one. Enjoy that.

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger DD said…

    Oh...HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Get some hats and or party favors if for nothing else so The Boy can have some fun making noise!

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Happy Birthday!!! BTW- I am growling at you for those "5 extra pounds", but I'll wait until after your birthday to expound on that!!!;-)

     
  • At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy birthday. On my 44th birthday I remember thinking, "Hey, 42 isn't that old. All day long that thought popped into my head until in the evening it dawned on me that hey, stupid you are right 42 isn't that old but you are not 42 you are 44!"
    Also, my mother has twice forgotten my birthday, and I'm an only child. Two times on my birthday I've called her late in the evening because I hadn't heard from her all day and chatted. At the end of the conversation I ask if there's anything else she has to tell me and she's responded, "No." So if your mom is saying the same thing that shows your birthday is more special to her than mine is to my mom's. And one last thing. One of those years when my mom forgot and my husband was away and no one else on the planet bothered to honor me in any way whatsoever I bought the cake my then 3 year old internationally adopted son wanted, the Cookie Monster cake, slapped some candles in it and he thought it was just as fun a party as any other special party he'd attended. Who cares if those others forgot. He didn't and he's all that matters.

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Blogger hotdrwife said…

    I'm late to the party, but Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful year!!

    PS I'm with you on birthdays! I love my birthday. We celebrate that and our adoption anniversary the same.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home