Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Trading Places

I rarely get television to myself in the evening. We have television access in practically every room in the house, so that isn't the problem. It's that usually I have a million other things to do at night between chores and getting quality time in with the boy and I can't sit down and watch a whole program. With the exception, of course, of American Idol. I manage to watch that during dinner. Don't scold! It's the only time we watch TV while eating. And, really, it's just listening.

The year the boy came home we threw a huge party in the spring. Mostly the purpose was to celebrate the boy's first birthday, but also to thank our friends and family for putting up with me while I waited...and waited...for the adoption to be complete. I was not the most pleasant person at times during the wait, and at the end had pretty much become a hermit. So, it was nice to see everyone again and introduce them all to the boy.

Now the party has become a tradition, and it is this Saturday. MFH is busy picking up dog poop and getting the yard ready for the party, and the boy is busy driving around in the monster truck he got for his birthday, trying to run over all the dog poop before dad picks it up. You know, spreading the joy as it were. My preparation really doesn't begin until Friday afternoon, so I had the big screen TV to myself. In the living room. Sitting in MFH's recliner. That NEVER happens. Even the hockey player is trained to get out of the recliner when MFH enters the room.

I found Sex and the City. Two episodes back to back. Ones I hadn't seen the first time around when it was only on HBO. I loved this show. Maybe it's because of Carrie's fabulous shoes. I lived my life vicariously through her as she purchased pair after pair of funky, strappy, fun shoes. $400 a pair shoes. Sigh. And the four of them, 30 something women, best friends who could say anything to each other and stay friends. Partying night after night in Manhattan. What a life.

I never had that life. I lived by myself once for only a short time. Other than that I've been in a relationship or married most of my adult life. And now I'm a mom, too.

I wouldn't trade it for all the $400 a pair shoes in the world.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger DD said…

    The Boy needs a pedal-powered manure spreader for the yard.

    I've only seen very few episodes of SIC as we don't have HBO. As you pointed out, the only person who seems to get any TV time is the one who wants to watch Nickolodean.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home