Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Let me 'splain

I still have my old job, but on a different level.

I no longer do their accounting, but I am monitoring the books and consulting as needed.

And I am finding errors. Lots of them, that I then have to track down and fix.

The lady they hired does not have an accounting degree, but neither do I. I have lots of classes, and 31 years of experience in the field. She is one year older than me, and has been doing accounting for the last 16 years - spending about three years at each place, but that has nothing to do with her ability to do the job.

She is making elementary errors. For instance, a client comes in and pays for a large product in advance of the delivery. The payment is documented on their account. When the product is delivered and the purchase agreement is entered for the sale, she is entering the payment again instead of offsetting the purchase to the payment that is sitting on account. When it comes time to do the bank reconciliation, her cash is way off and she doesn't know why. That's where I enter in - to find why, and fix it. Each and every customer. But, she is inconsistent even in this. Sometimes, not often, she enters the transaction correctly.

Could I just tell her where it is, and have her fix it? Yes. But then she fixes it incorrectly, making twice as much work for me.

Should my boss let her go?

I don't know. I don't know if her errors are lack of training on our system, or lack of knowledge.

I should add that I have spent hours and hours writing up processes for her, and she has spent hours and hours with the company that sells the software, and trained me how to use it years ago. I email, talk, and spend Saturdays with her as need be. I am accessible all of my waking hours.

I am still full time at the burger corp, where we have people quitting and/or looking for new jobs left and right.

And, I have been referred for a position just a few miles from my house, in the same capacity that I left behind at my old job that is still my old job.

Where I could possibly do some of the work from my home.

We have two extra mouths to feed, and two teenage boys that have a lot of laundry. Yes, I do the laundry because we are on a cistern and I conserve water as much as possible. I could tell them to wash a full load rather than one pair of their favorite jeans, but there is no guarantee they would do it. I am finding that the listening problem we experience with The Boy carries on well into young adulthood.

I have very little free time - to keep up with you people, to relax, to spend quality time with MFH and The Boy. Hockey starts October 1 - Tues., Thurs., and Sat. - about two hours each day if you count travel.

I am simply spread too thin.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:34 AM, Blogger Away2me (Deanna) said…

    I hate that frantic feeling of being spread too thin. I hope this time passes quickly and you can get to a more reasonable pace in life. Sounds like it is only going to ramp up with hockey about to start.

    Hope you can find ways to make changes. I hate it when life gets like what you are experiencing. Hang in there.

     
  • At 8:28 AM, Blogger carla said…

    I feel for you.

    and am kinda there as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home