Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Monday, September 15, 2008

And then there were two

One of our players went home today.

When his parents brought him here, they told me he has a girlfriend at home who "is no good". They've been dating on and off again for two years. They're on when she wants to be and off when she wants to be with other guys or doing other things. His parents were hoping his coming here to play hockey would be the deal breaker.

His parents are well-to-do, so he is privileged, and he is an only child.

He is 18, and it's his first time away from home - the same as if he had gone away to college.

The other two players who live here are good friends of his, one from home, and the other from a previous time in his life.

Last week he came home limping and said he suffered a knee injury. He had doctor appointments with x-rays and was talking about surgery. As the weekend came and went, his limping disappeared but he kept insisting he was in pain. He said he was too sick to go to practice this morning.

When I came home tonight there was no sign of him anywhere in the house. He left a voicemail thanking us, but more importantly, saying goodbye to The Boy.

The other boys came home and said that his girlfriend wanted him to come home. They tried to talk him into staying.

I have a feeling he'll experience some real pain somewhere down that road.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    Ahhh, the power women can have over men. I'm scared that power will control my boys one day. God, I hope not.

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Blogger Away2me (Deanna) said…

    Oh man, that boy needs some growing up. I hope my son can handle himself and not let a selfish young lady rule his life.

    I hope this is a lesson for your boy.

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Don't you just wish you could make kids understand some things about life and love? Sadly, they have to learn the hard way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home