Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

In deep water

The Boy has been in swimming lessons this summer. The sessions consist of Monday through Thursday for two weeks, one half hour per day. He is midway through his third and last session this season.

He needs to be able to swim the front crawl and back crawl unassisted for the width of the pool before he can pass on to the next level.

The Boy is a little vertically challenged. I think he is average, but the majority of his friends are definitely taller than him. I look at this as an advantage in swimming, because he can't stand on the bottom of the pool and be above the water, forcing him to try harder to swim.

Case in point -

He called me after his lesson today, to tell me he made it across the pool. "I had to put my tippy toes on the bottom once, mom, so I could push up to take a breath and continue on. But I made it!"

"I tried not to put my feet down cause it's hard to breathe under water!"

2 Comments:

  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    I love swimming lessons stories! Congrats on the big progress over the summer.

    How's the car stuff going?

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Blogger Away2me (Deanna) said…

    Love the last quote. How funny. I'm vertically challenged too and I always have been a good swimmer. I always felt I was equal or better than other kids in the pool. Maybe I had to be better since I couldn't touch.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home