Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Conference

The Boy got to red yesterday and the teacher had to send a note home. He was being wild and acting out. He was still tired, and fell asleep right after we ate last night. Can I blame the time change?

As a punishment, he had to miss hockey practice tonight. MFH feels that we need to help him figure out that there are consequences for his choice of action, and I agree.

Needless to say, we weren't looking forward to parent teacher conferences.

One of the first things out of her mouth was to ask us if The Boy likes school. I could see why she would think he doesn't, but he really does. The Boy is very social, and he is always ready to go in the morning.

One of the things I was looking for was any sign that she doesn't like him. I couldn't find any.

His experience with Kindergarten will set the tone for the rest of his school years.

Today was a half day due to conferences, as are the rest of the days this week. Today he stayed on green all day, which is good. He needs just two more good half days to earn hockey practice on Saturday.

He cried today when it was practice time, and it tore my heart in two. But for years I have spoken out against giving full ride scholarships to athletes that need full time tutors just to get by in school. School is about the learning, and sports should be an added bonus.

I've talked the talk, now I get to walk the walk.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:11 AM, Blogger carla said…

    parenthood huh?

    I was FILLED with talking the talk before I had emma and am finding the walk SOOO UP HILL.

    (Sisyphus comes to mind)

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    Absolutely blame the time change! I hope that I'm able to be as strong when it's my time to walk the walk!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    I know this has to be so hard. But, I so think you are doing the right thing. He will learn and it will help him for many years to come.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home