Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

CARE

When I went to work at the burger corp. full-time, I enrolled The Boy in after school care. It is a program offered right at his school called The CARE Academy. He goes there Mon, Wed, and Fri and my mom picks him up for some grammy time the other two days.

At CARE they do art activities, play games outside and inside, have help with homework if need be, and have some academic lessons. They even take field trips. Right before Thanksgiving the kids walked to a local nursing home and performed two songs for the residents. Very cute. I know when I was teaching, the old folks really enjoyed this type of interaction with the school.

Yesterday I got a call at 1:30 that The Boy had a tummy ache. What the teacher said is that The Boy was "quiet" all day and didn't appear to feel well. He had a low grade fever and really just wanted to come home. I picked him up and we came home to rest.

School gets out at 2:25. At 2:35 the phone rang. It was Mrs. So and So with CARE. She wanted to know if I had The Boy. I told her that I picked him up early because he was ill. The office forgot to add him to the absentee list.

"I just wanted to make sure he was in a safe place," she said.

Thank you.

What an awesome program.

5 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Not-So-Normal-Mom said…

    It is always comforting to know that he has other safe places, too, isn't it??? Nice.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Very sweet. I miss that about Little Boy's preschool. They loved him so completely. And now that he's in kindergarten...it's a different story. He was sick one day and I forgot to call in. They asked me the next day if he had been sick. So comforting.

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger Suz said…

    The program sounds so fantastic and I love the fact that the go to the nursing home!

     
  • At 5:58 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Wow, I bet that boosts your confidence for going back full time!

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Alleen said…

    Yeah!!!! So nice to hear about responsible caregivers instead of the opposite.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home