Stiletto

Just a mom raising The Boy (adopted from Guatemala) along with my fabulous husband (MFH). I am a shoe whore, especially of the high heeled variety. Hence, the nickname.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Vulnerable

I have applied for four jobs and so far I've heard nothing. I know that the hiring process can be rigorous, but really I thought only my own boss takes three or four weeks just to peruse applications before contacting people for interviews. I have often thought, "For crying out loud! By the time you get around to interviewing people, if they are worth anything at all they have already gotten a job!"

Now that has come back to bite me in the arse.

Am I worth nothing at all? Why haven't I been contacted for an interview?

I could stroke my ego by saying that some of them asked my previous salary, and they don't think I'll work for less money. Or, they may think I'm over qualified.

My resume is short and sweet. I have only one job on there because I've been there 16 years. Is there anything one can do to make the resume stand out? I was visiting with a friend of my family, and he said what will get me the job is in visiting with me. Great. But, how do I get to that point?

Last Wednesday evening I was looking through online job listings in my area. There was one for a part-time AR/AP clerk. I applied. Thursday morning I had an email from said company with an application attached asking me to fill it out and drop it off at my earliest convenience. I dropped it off Friday afternoon after The Boy's vaccination appointment (which took two hours by the way, WTF?). They conducted an interview on the spot. I had The Boy with me - they didn't care. They set him up in front of the television with a soda, and we visited for about an hour and a half.

They asked if I could work full-time. I don't know. I really wanted to be home when The Boy gets home from school. Otherwise I'll have to enroll him in after school care at a cost. Full-time gets me benefits - good ones. They also asked my salary requirements, which are higher than what I see jobs offering around here.

I talked to MFH husband about this on Friday night. He said, "You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. They need a person. They've had this job posted for a month. You don't want just a job, you want the right job for you. If you are what they want, they'll be willing to pay what you requested."

The biggest change with this position?

I wouldn't be the head bitch. I'd be working under the head bitch.

It's been a long time.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Suz said…

    Honestly, it takes us FOREVER to hire someone. Three to four weeks is about average to contact someone for a resume and it can take another month on top of that to extend an offer. I have no clue why we don't do it differently. We've lost a lot of good people that way.

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Not being head bitch sure makes it easier to be there for your family. The timing is perfect with school starting. I've never been one to be able to hold out for the perfect job, but then the circumstances now might make this perfect.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Michelle Smiles said…

    Hate, hate, hate job hunting. It does such weird things to my ego.

    Last time I was looking, I applied for a job with the courts. It was October. In April they called me for an interview. WTF? I told her that I already had a job and would imagine anyone worth hiring would have found something in the 6+ months since they advertised.

    Hope you find something that is the right fit.

     
  • At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Job hunting within the school systems here can take MONTHS. Hang in there!! I hope you get everything you want from time to salary to benefits.

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Priscilla said…

    Good luck! I read the linked article a few weeks ago about adding something attention-getting to the top of your resume. Not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I thought I'd pass it along.

    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/tools/ept/careerArticlesPost.html?post=151

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Alleen said…

    ugh... I'd rather stick myself in the eye with a hot poker than job-hunt. I hope you get something perfect soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home